The Town of Rocky Mount Welcomes Fifteen New Businesses Since October 2020
The Town of Rocky Mount Welcomes Fifteen
New Businesses Since October 2020
By: J Bohn Bishop
One year ago, the Town of Rocky Mount, Virginia, as well as countless other small towns and big cities in our nation were hit with a major health issue—Coronavirus. The issue did not stop at health but extended into an issue of what could have been an economic disaster for all businesses. The everchanging updates of this crisis provided a lot of frustration for local business owners as they were being inundated with information from multiple sources, some of which proved to be not so trustworthy.
Through the struggles of the past year, living and doing business in a very foreign way, the assumption was that our local economy was going to collapse. However, Rocky Mount proved that nothing, not even a global pandemic, could stop its lively energy. The Town is known for its strong desire to balance quality of life with opportunity for business and economic development, priding itself on being selected as “Best Local Government for Business” by Valley Business Front Magazine.
From October 2020 to March 2021, the Town of Rocky Mount welcomed fourteen new and expanded businesses to the community which makes for an even more unique mix of places that provide services, dining options, and shopping.
- Buddy’s BBQ, a staple in the Town of Rocky Mount for the past 4 years, has been so thrilled with the support they have received and because of that are excited that they will be relocating to the old Hardee’s building on 480 Tanyard Road by June. This new location will allow Allen “Buddy” Hancock to bring his dream to life of having a place for locals to gather with friends and family for live bluegrass music and Franklin County High School Eagle football just a stone’s throw away from the stadium. The “new” Buddy’s BBQ will offer a full-service experience with 160 seats both in and outdoors with covered patios, as well as the expanded offering of mixed drinks.
- The Koffee Barn, owned by longtime Franklin County residents and sisters Agnes Proctor and Paula Lovett, is located at 453 South Main Street. Agnes is a chef and used to cook for the Detroit Tigers during spring training in Lakeland, FL. Currently, their top drink seller is Poppin & Crystal Boba, as well as their iced lattes. Soon they will be introducing milkshakes and smoothies to their already extensive menu of not only drinks, but lunch and dinner options too. In addition to drinks and food, The Koffee Barn serves as a consignment shop for local artists. In the future, they will be hosting small events such as paint nights and yoga sessions. Stop by The Koffee Barn to sip and shop or grab lunch/dinner and relax indoors or on their patio.
- Get Baked is an in-home kitchen based right in the Town of Rocky Mount, Virginia. Judith Hodges creates made to order baked goods from scratch including cakes of all kinds, cookies, pies, cheesecakes, brownies, puddings, cobblers, breads, delights and lushes, cinnamon rolls, and so much more. Judith will be selling her goodies at the Redwood Farmer’s Market and Mountain View Country Market as well as doing events with the Town and neighbor, Unique Memories & Gifts. At the farmers markets, she offers cookies, cinnamon buns, and cupcakes by the dozen. Currently, the physical location at 45 Marketplace Drive, Suite 104 is not open to the public. Stay tuned on their Facebook page for an announcement on when you can visit in person!
- The Grand at 290, owned by Mark and Nicole Redden, is like taking a step back into the past, but with a modern, glamorous feel. The Reddens have focused on every detail of this beautiful space and have designed it to create an enchanting atmosphere for truly magnificent events. Located in the heart of historic uptown Rocky Mount at 290 South Main Street, the venue started as a department store in 1912, and still offers the same beauty now as it did then. Dreamy, enchanting, and quickly becoming the go-to space for local events such as weddings & celebrations, corporate events, galas, and fundraisers.
- Lucas Therapies, located at 400 Old Franklin Turnpike, Suite 121, is one of the largest independent outpatient physical therapy practices in Virginia who provides physical and occupational therapy. They offer specialties in outpatient orthopedics, aquatic therapy, in addition to sports and industrial medicine as well as a full wellness program including personal training and nutritional services, all in a private practice setting. Lucas Therapies is committed to your relief and recovery so that you can find a way past whatever is slowing you down and get back to your life! The Rocky Mount staff includes Joel Heckman, pictured, Physical Therapist, as well Luca Gregory, Exercise Physiologist.
- Defy Gravity Training Center is expanding to Rocky Mount from their first location in Vinton to offer over 22 years of experience in gymnastics, cheerleading, acrobatics, and personal training. Defy Gravity is a "have a need, fill a need" company. Their experts watch for needs as they coach and train tumbling, gymnastics, and cheerleading and then design the training to better meet the needs and to accelerate learning! Defy Gravity will be opening just beside The Koffee Barn on South Main Street. Keep an eye on their Facebook page for the grand opening!
- Crooked Road Herbal Reserve, owned by Franklin County natives and best friends Bobby Pollock (left) and Collin Richardson (right), opened this CBD/Herbal Wellness retail store at 147 Franklin Street in March. These guys want to break the stigma of the product they offer and help the community with keeping the body in balance, eliminate stress, and get better sleep. They do not offer treatments, diagnosis, or cures. Crooked Road Herbal Reserve offers relief.
- EL3VEN11 Beauty Lounge, located at 5 Angle Street and founded by Bridgette Craighead, is an industry-leading beauty salon offering clients a wide range of quality brand name products and superb talents. Services provided at EL3VEN11 Beauty Lounge include exquisite braiding, custom cuts, wigs and extensions, colors and dimensions, a traveling squad, educational classes, styling for seniors, manifesting makeovers, and noticeable nails. Established on the ideals of individualism and manifestation, offers beauty products for everyone to enjoy and a positive energetic atmosphere that cannot be duplicated. EL3VEN11 is dedicated to creating the best version of yourself. With a range of stylists highly trained in their specialties, your EL3VEN11 experience will be one you will not forget.
- Ultimate Shine Car Wash, located at 400 Old Franklin Turnpike Unit 128, is a family-owned operation established in 2005 with 13 locations throughout East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia. Committed to providing consistent and quality service, giving back to the community, and exceeding customer expectations, Ultimate Shine prides themselves on industry-leading technology that delivers consistent quality, leaving you with a clean, dry, and shiny car every single time. Ultimate Shine reclaims, cleans & reuses approximately 80% of water. Only bio-degradable cleaning agents are used in the washing process.
- Franklin Street Auto, owner Barry Hodges, offers 37+ years of experience in brakes, rotors, tire rotation, light mechanical work, oil and lube. You can also get a Virginia State Inspection at Franklin Street Auto located at 740 Franklin Street. Barry is a native to Franklin County, offering a welcoming atmosphere at his auto shop with coffee, cookies, and friendly environment, especially for ladies coming in for their oil changes.
- American Partners Federal Credit Union originated in 1975 to serve the American Tobacco Company, one of the first giants of industry. In 1995, a merger occurred to include Sears Piedmont Employees FCU, resulting in a full financial institution. The mission of American Partners Federal Credit Union is to provide a member owned, financially sound, primary financial institution to its members while remaining committed to preserving quality service with an unsurpassed personal touch. Their most important responsibility is to listen to each member, identify services to conveniently meet their needs and make sure their experience leaves them feeling dignified, satisfied, and special. The newest Rocky Mount branch is located at 77 Powder Creek Lane.
- Mindful Light Photography located at 230 Franklin Street, Suite 202 guarantees you will receive the timeless heartfelt photos you deserve. In the form of professionally printed products, you will enjoy every day and share your family's legacy through the test of time from maternity to family and every precious moment in-between! Owner, Melissa Carter, works with her clients from the design session to session day, to viewing/ordering day, all the way to final product delivery. If you have a need for photography whether it be a maternity, newborn, family, or senior session, Melissa would love to serve you.
- Unique Memories and Gifts, run by the Parker Family of 8, makes unique gifts and home décor for weddings & anniversaries, births, sports, home, kids room décor, and more at great prices. You name it, they will create it. They also offer engraving and workshops on site. Jeremy and Chelsea Parker have been at this business for 8 years which started as a hobby and now use it to incorporate teaching their children people skills as they homeschool them right out of the shop. You can pop by their location at 5 Market Place Drive, Suite 101 and hear about their unique story.
- The Law Office of Sherry Q. Scott provides legal services and representation in Franklin County and surrounding areas, with a concentration on family law. Sherry was born and raised in Franklin County and has professional career in juvenile diversion/intake; teaching; school social work; custody investigation; student assistance specialist; and mental health specialist/emergency services clinical work. Sherry’s new law office is located at 65 East Court Street. She currently offers evening, weekend, and virtual appointments by appointment only.
- Ivy Smoke & Vapor is located at 320 Old Franklin Turnpike and is Rocky Mount's premier shop for CBD, Delta-8, vape, tobacco, and herbal supplements. Owned by husband, wife, and puppy, Khaled, Ashley, and Bojack Allabani opened IVY to address the lack of clean, natural herbal options and to help residents to quit smoking. They founded their own store brand of human and pet CBD and Delta-8 products, BOTANICA by IVY, after noticing that hemp prices were so inflated that the "regular Joe" couldn't afford them. Khaled, co-owner and chemist, put his degree to work to formulate clean, natural hemp products that are generally priced at 50% of the national average. Recently they launched their "Commit to Quit" program, offering free and discount vape devices to smokers looking to break the addiction.
If you are considering opening a new business or an expansion or relocation of your business, you are in the right place! Centrally located on the East Coast, within a day's shipping distance of most of the U.S. population, Rocky Mount is the perfect location for your business. We hope that as a local or a tourist, you get the chance to enjoy the many experiences the Town has to offer and that you will join in making Rocky Mount better every day!