Bulk / Large Item Pickup
The Town will pick up bulk/large items the first Monday of every month (second Monday if the first Monday is a holiday).
Residents can set out bulk/large items and brush no earlier than the Saturday before the collection day with the following guidelines:
- Large item and brush pickup are available for residential households only. Commercial properties are ineligible for large item pickup.
- The town will not pick up from rental properties that have been evicted or left with a large number of items behind.
- Bulk items (furniture, appliances, boxes, bags, etc.) should not exceed a pickup truck load per collection.
- Bulk Items and Brush piles must be separated.
- Brush piles can be no larger than a pickup truck load (6 feet by 6 feet by 6 feet). Brush can be no more than 12 inches in diameter and 6 feet in length. Small stumps of the same size (12 inches in diameter) or less that are free of dirt, rock, and other debris can also be collected. The town of Rocky Mount will only collect one 6-foot by 6-foot by 6-foot pile each regularly scheduled brush pick up a month. Please put all limbs facing the same way.
- No materials from contracted jobs or land clearing will be collected.
- Small amounts of homeowner-generated building material may be collected during bulk collection. The material must be no more than a 6-foot by 6-foot by 6-foot pile (a pickup truck load) and must not contain any roofing shingles, asphalt, brick, or concrete. The town of Rocky Mount will only collect one 6-foot by 6-foot by 6-foot pile each regularly scheduled bulk pick up a month.
- Building materials include small amounts of lumber (less than three feet in length), wood from trim, paneling, small amounts of containerized drywall or ceiling tile, and PVC or galvanized pipe (less than three feet in length).
- Crossties will not be collected via bulk/brush collection.
- Landscape timbers that are no longer than 3 feet in length may be collected.
- Packing peanuts should be contained in a sealed box or sealed plastic bag to prevent the Styrofoam from blowing around the street.
- Rugs/carpet should be rolled in lengths not to exceed 6 feet.
- Paint can only be collected if it is latex or water-based and completely dried in the can. Residents may mix sawdust, sand, or kitty litter with wet paint to aid in the drying process.
- Please either tape or wrap glass (mirrors, windows, shower doors) or break the glass ahead of time and double bag the shards. This practice has two benefits: collectors avoid injury due to broken glass and glass shards that spray out of the truck do not lie in the road for vehicles to run over.
- Brush cuttings and tree limbs resulting from commercial tree trimming operations (contractor/commercial waste) will not be collected.
- Debris waste and tree stumps larger than 12 inches in diameter will not be collected.
- Grass clippings and leaves must be bagged.
- Any material that may be windblown must be bagged.
- No dead animals, tires, or hazardous material.
- No individual piece or container may weigh more than 30 pounds.