Rocky Mount strives to provide a great curbside solid waste collection service at a price that makes it easy for our citizens and businesses to help us create a clean and beautiful community. So that we can collect your solid waste safely and effectively, while at the same time keeping costs low, there are a few rules you must follow:
When to Place Your Container at the Curb
- Containers must be at the curb by 7 am on the scheduled collection day.
- Containers must be removed from the curb by 10 pm the day of collection.
- Be aware of holidays that may affect garbage collection.
- The Town may run two trucks on inclement weather days which will allow solid waste that day to be collected in the morning hours.
What to Place in Your Container
- Trash must be placed inside a closed bag or can liner.
- Bagged trash must be placed inside the Town cart provided.
- The following items will not be accepted by the Town as part of your solid waste collection service:
- Construction materials
- Dirt and sod
- Oil tanks
- Large amounts of brush, leaves and yard waste should be reserved for the monthly large item pick-up dates only.
- Used syringes are not allowed in your trash. The Town can supply residential customers with a "sharps" box that you can use to dispose of syringes. These are available free of charge for pickup at the Town Municipal Building at 345 Donald Avenue. Used boxes may also be dropped off at this address for disposal.
Trash set out for collection in an unapproved container or containing inappropriate items will result in a surcharge of $10 per occurrence.
The home or commercial occupant must clean up trash that blows out of trash cans or that is disturbed by animals. If the Town is required to clean up loose trash, the actual cost of cleanup will be assessed to your utility bill.
Additional Carts & Services
The Town will only dump two cans per residential and four cans for commercial per week. (Only one can per property will be issued. Additional carts can be requested at an additional monthly fee.)
Limited pickup at your home (not at the curb) is available if you are disabled and do not live with anyone physically able to bring the trash to the curb. All applicants must have the application signed by a physician.
Solid Waste Fees
Solid waste collection services include the Town's curbside solid waste collection service. The fee for these services is billed monthly per cart up to two for residential and four for commercial properties at a monthly rate set by Town Council. Note: Canceling this service is not available.
Fees for solid waste collection (extra carts are billed at the same rate):
- Residential: $10 per month
- Commercial: $20 per month
- Adopt a Truck: $30 per occurrence